torsdag 19. september 2013

The day I got a haircut


Today I'm going to the hairdresser ! What an interesting topic that I bet will have all of you readers inching to the edge of your seats in anticipation!

Well not to disappoint I started my morning early with breakfast at 0800 ! (The difference in time is nice in some aspects towards Norway, making me able to sleep looooong, but in others not that fun)

After a nice breakfast I exited our building and met our landlord. It was his wife that had suggested this hairdresser as a good one, so I asked him how much should I expect to pay for a haircut? "Well I would expect 100-120 rupees, but it's gone up now so a little more. But then again you aren't Nepali looking Michael so expect more". This I'm quite used to, as a westerner they automatically believe you have a lot more money and it won't really annoy you to pay slightly more... This is indeed the truth for everyone here except westerners working for a Nepali company.

So I walked all of 30 meters to the hairdresser and expected to pay around 300-400 rupees, but while there he asked for 250! Which is about 14kr! I usually pay about 31X that price in Norway, so I sat down with a smile and explained what I wanted. The difference between a hairdresser in Norway and Nepal isn't that big, ofc in Nepal the shop itself is a lot smaller and they don't have electrical shavers or hairdryers but that's about it. The guy cutting my hair was efficient with scissors and comb and did a good job, at the end where I'm used to the hairdresser using a hairdryer to remove my cut hair, instead I got a head massage! Since I wasn't quite prepared for it I jumped a bit when he covered my hold head in his arms, but after 5 minutes I wasn't really paying attention! I was very relaxed and almost a bit sleepy when he said "Massage?", being a bit sleepy I just answered yes yes and he got a pillow and made me relax towards the counter. 

What followed was 40 minutes of bliss and really weird noises from my spine, neck and arms! Ofc while lying there I understood my yes yes was for the massage but I didn't really care, I guessed the massage itself would be minimum 1000 rupees, which when I've checked before has still been a little cheaper than normal but when I was finished he asked for a total of 500 rupees ! 28 kr and I got a haircut + 40 minutes back massage. Well worth the money I got ready for another day at work !

1 kommentar:

  1. Haha! That`s insane! Enjoy all the things you can do so cheap while you can :)

    SvarSlett