onsdag 2. oktober 2013

The sporty/spiritual weekend: Sechen Monastery

Yesterday Tiphaine had asked the Tibetan receptionist if it was possible to join a Buddhist ritual the next morning, she told us that yes it was quite possible, just go to the main temple at 0600; it would be open to the public between 0600-0700! So I doubtfully put on my alarm at 05.45 knowing that I would like to join to see how it was but I was suuuuper tired!

Fast forward until an unknown hour and Tiphaine leaves, I hadn't notice anything, and apparently it's been a lot of noise outside and gongs being struck. I fall asleep immediately. Wake up again that Tiphaine is going out, now I'm a little foggy, didn't this just happen? I image Tiphaine is grumpy and hear "You finished sldnfknbdsfkfdskn" she leaves the room, I'm still super groggy but I get up and prepare myself to leave, wondering what's happened to cause a small "fight". After a long time I finally leave the room and see Tiphaine reading by a small library just outside our door. I asked if everything was OK and what we were fighting about. She looks at me strange and says :p "We didn't fight :p, you were sleepy and I said I was sitting outside reading!"
Apparently I had dreamt up a whole fight in my head while I was trying to wake up :p

I found out from Tiphaine that she had gone to the main temple letting me sleep (since I obviously needed it), but when she got there, nothing was happening, she was a bit annoyed having gone to all the effort of waking up early and running of too check it out as the receptionist had promised. But nothing was there, we waited for the reception to open to ask but in the end it took a while since it was still early, finally we take the breakfast, the receptionist starts her day and nods that "no no I really do not understand the rituals are normally at 6am." Well, there's no point getting upset, so we told her it was okay and let it go at that.

I forgot to mention that the hotel is full of French, since the monastery is known for Mathieu Ricard. A funny thing about the French: around the world, they believe they are home. A guy passed me on the stairs and said "bonjour." I wanted to say we are in Nepal so you should talk in Nepali or English. They cannot expect that everyone understand the word "bonjour." It might be one of the things that give frenchies the old image of arrogant types abroad.

Tiphaine took an appointment with a Tibetan doctor while I searched for a SPA! Hehe, I've been thinking several times to take advantage of being here in Nepal to try out some cheap massages. I found a flyer hung up at the monastery for Harmony Spa, and found it quite quick (not as common her in Nepal). Sitting down I look at the treatment list, endless choices! I end up choosing a full body Ayurvedic massage, a massage with slightly heated oils lasting 90 minutes for a very reasonable price!

Just as I order Tiphaine calls and is already finished at the Tibetan Doctor, so I tell her to join me and say her name and I book her into the same massage and room as me. The massage was great and super relaxing! But it also made me feel the sore body after rafting so it was nice to go and have lunch at the Tibetan grandma. Momo's of course typical Nepali dish! We eat while watching the street life; women dressed in traditional Tibetan dress, tourists, and Hindu holy men all wearing orange... We never get bored in this country!

Tiphaine has a conference at a Yoga studio while I go around looking at the life around the stupa. In the end I find myself a rooftop restaurant, taking a cold strawberry lemonade while I start reading my book in the sun. Not a bad weekend.

































Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar